Scientific and practical Round table
“Cultural studies and global challenges of our time”
dedicated to the 90th anniversary of Edward Markaryan
May 25, 2019, St. Petersburg
The proposed Round table is devoted to the study and promotion of the works of Edward Sarkisovich Markaryan (1929-2011), to the demonstration of the scientific and social significance of his ideas, their heuristic potential for the entire system of cultural studies.
For his long and rich by scientific achievements life E. Markaryan published over two hundred scientific papers, incl. more than thirty monographs published in the CIS, England, Germany, USA, Bulgaria, Hungary and devoted to the theoretical and methodological foundations of culturology, the genesis of human activity and culture, to the strategic problems of survival and development of humanity, humanism as the ideology of self-preservation of humanity, etc.
In the works of the scientist, it was revealed and analyzed not only theoretical, but also purely practical potential of systemic and integral knowledge about society and the world of culture, the creator and creation of which is man. In the context of the scientific heritage of E. Markaryan it is proposed to pay special attention to studying the programming, regulatory and motivating functions of culture, as well as determining the possibilities of cultural science in their use and solving national security problems.
The purpose of the Round table is to analyze the contribution of E. Markaryan in the development of cultural theory of culture and the study of global problems of our time, as well as the popularization and development of the scientific heritage of the scientist.
Issues for discussion:
- The bipolarity of culture: the confrontation of the creative and destructive principles laid down in human nature. The programming functions of culture in human life and societies.
- “The creative pole” of culture: the formation of humanity in man. The education system as a way of reproducing culture. The role of cultural studies in a humanistically oriented transformation of modern society. Humanism as an ideology of self-preservation of humanity.
- Applied possibilities of culturology: cultural analytics, diagnostics, prognostics. Cultural expertise, its capabilities and value.
- Cultural identity: a resource of self-preservation and design attempts. National and state-forming myths.
- “Destructive pole” of culture: types of weapons of mass destruction and the problem of “cultural viruses”. Hybrid forms of war in the modern world and their cultural analytics.
- The problem of genocide: the experience of cultural analysis. Genocidal ideology in the context of the challenges and threats to the global security of mankind.
- Experience of “cultural studies” in the development of “soft power” technologies. “Color revolutions” as projective technologies. “Soft power” and “smart power”.
- “Fight for minds and hearts”: the formation of values, ideals and meanings in the system of national security. Culturology and design of positive value systems and ideals of the future. Ways of actualization the regulatory and motivating functions of culture.
- Parameters of interdisciplinary cooperation and principles of integration of the sciences of nature, man, society and culture. The bridge between natural science and humanitarian cultures. Culturology as an area of scientific and educational integration.
- Prospects for the development of the scientific and educational system of the XXI century: from multiversity to a new generation university.
- Experience of centuries-old Russian-Armenian cooperation as a basis for strategic partnership in the Eurasian region.
- Directions of the scientific and practical development of the heritage of E. Markaryan.
Venue: Russia, St. Petersburg, Nevsky prospect, 40-42, 3rd floor, conference room (entrance from the courtyard of the St. Catherine Armenian Church, opposite the State Committee on Culture)
Date: May 25, 2019, beginning at 11:00.
Regional Armenian national-cultural autonomy (community) of St. Petersburg
Russian State Pedagogical university after A. Herzen (St. Petersburg)
Public organization of sociological and political science initiatives “Khachmeruk” (Crossroad) (Armenia)
To participate in the Round Table, please send an email to email@example.com
Announcement in Russian – here.
Alexey Bondarev, Ph.D. in cultural studies, associate professor at the Department of theory and history of culture at the Russian State Pedagogical university after A. Herzen (St. Petersburg)
mob.: +7 951 640 97 40
Vahan Babakhanyan, Deputy chairman of the Council of Regional Armenian national-cultural autonomy (community) (St. Petersburg)
mob.: +7 911 022 9633 viber, whatsapp